Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MEMO FROM NARA


Each book has two covers – paper or hard – protecting hundreds of printed pages, which emit information in different forms. These pages may tell us a story, poem, history, science and many other subjects. I love books because they are my good friends who will be always with me wherever I am. I carry a book wherever I go and read sitting under a tree in a park or inside an air conditioned bank when I wait for my turn or traveling in a train or in an aero plane. I expect more people do this and cultivate the habit of reading, which is a very good brain exercise. We learn many things from reading books, magazines and newspapers. New ideas will come into our mind to explore and experiment. Unfortunately, the habit of reading is not practiced very; much by the younger generation. TV, mobile phones, MP3 player etc., are new gadgets, which divert people from reading a real book. Nowadays, books are available by which one can hear the books from an audio tape. They are called audio books. Still we miss the pleasure of looking at the words and sentences and understand the spellings and meanings.
Kindle is one of the electronic devices invented by Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com costing about 400 dollars in the US. I was tempted to posses one by looking into the specifications of this stuff. It looks like a folded book with some buttons on it and a monitor in which one can download a book, magazine, newspaper or website and read. The letter size can be adjusted. I hope I’ll get it one day and enjoy reading books.

No comments: