Sunday, May 31, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Self-centered people who do not like others and others’ attitude and behavior get angry easily. When one’s right to live is challenged, one get s angry. If someone snatches the food one eats one gets angry. Children get angry when we do not allow them whatever they want to do. Similarly people get angry when the Government takes some drastic steps against their interests. In fact, getting angry is normal, but if we develop a habit of getting angry for every unreasonable matter, then it is wrong. Such people have to take care because excess anger is one of the symptoms of depression. Anger, very often has short life. Emotions do not stay for long. They come and go. In the same way anger also will come and go. We have to manage ourselves to adjust with anger. Animals become ferocious when they are angry. Since they cannot express in words, they show in action against their own kind, also towards human beings. Thus one can not escape anger. Therefore, anger live with us and we live with it. Let us try to be free from anger in order to achieve a peaceful life.
Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired – Richard Kemph
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. – Vernon Sanders Lau.
After home renovations, we were left with various building materials – not enough to offer for sale, too cumbersome for the rubbish bin but sure to get in the way if left around the yard. Not being a great handyman, I had no use for these things but realized someone might, so I placed the material outside our house with a sign saying “Take Me, I am yours.” Two days later, the handyman’s treasure was still there but someone had taken the sign.
The following exchange took place between the lawyer and the witness of an accident.
The lawyer: “Did you actually see the accident?”
The witness: “Yes, Sir.”
The lawyer: “How far away were you when the accident happened?”
The witness: “Thirty-one feet, six-and-one-quarter inches.”
The lawyer (thinking he’d trap the witness: “Well, sir, will you tell the jury how you knew it was exactly that distance?”
The witness: “Because when the accident happened, I took out a tape and measured it. I knew some stupid lawyer would ask me that question.”
Two cab drivers met. “Hey,” asked one, “what’s the idea of painting one side of your cab red and other side blue?”
“Well,” the other responded, when I get into an accident, you should see how all the witnesses contradict each other.
A number that reads the same when read forwards and backwards
Single digit numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 are palindromic.
0 and 100 are 19; 100 and 200 are 10; 200 and 300 are 10; 0 and 1000 are 109.
· STUDY while others are sleeping.
· DECIDE while others are delaying.
· PREPARE while others are daydreaming.
· BEGIN while others are procrastinating.
· WORK while others are wishing.
· SAVE while others are wasting.
· LISTEN while others are talking.
· SMILE while others are frowning.
· COMMEND while others are criticizing.
· PERSIST while others are quitting.
· A laugh burns 3.5 calories.
· Laughter stimulates heart and lungs, and enhances the respiratory system.
· Laughter causes release of endorphins, which give the body a ‘high’ during exercise.
· Laughter lowers the cortisol level in the body, thus enhancing immunity.
· Twenty seconds of intense laughing yields health benefits equivalent to 10 minutes of rowing.
· Laughter boosts pain tolerance; many foreign cancer centers offer humor therapy.
· Laughter reduces inflammation.
· People with a better sense of humor are better at work.
· People with a humorous outlook live 35 per cent longer than those who are grumpy.
World’s tallest building: Burj, Dubai – 900 meter high.
World’s highest statue: Christ the Redeemer Statue, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
World’s biggest plane: Airbus A380 – Capacity 555 passengers.
World’s biggest passenger ship: MS Freedom of Seas: 4300- passenger-capacity.
World’s longest bridge: Donghai Bridge, China – 32.5 km.
World’s biggest shopping mall: South China Mall, Dogguan, China – 892,000 sq. m. shops in 6 floors.
World’s biggest indoor swimming pool: World Water Park, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – size 5 acres.
World’s biggest office complex: Chicago Merchandise Mart, Illinois, USA.
World’s biggest bus: Neoplan Jumbo-cruiser 2 in 1 bus – double deck bus – 170 passenger capacity.
Omega – 3 fatty acids are long – chain ply unsaturated fatty acids which increase the fluidity of membranes. Once the membranes function in a normal manner, there is proper cell to cell communication. Omega – 3 fatty acids are found in flax seeds, walnuts and soybeans besides fatty fishes like salmon. The benefits of these fatty acids are : increase the volume of brain grey matter associated with mood and regulation of emotions; check the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease; boost cognitive functions in elderly people; improve osteoarthritis, protect against prostate and breast cancer; keep the blood in fluid condition; inhibit thickening of arteries; strengthen immune system; prevent sudden death of an individual.
· The daily toil of ordinary members of our society creates the enormous wealth of the billionaires of the world.
· Adaptability is a remarkable asset. It is the process by which all evolution occurs and without which all life would eventually expire.
Meet you next month – JULY, 2009
Prof. A. Narayanan, Ph. D., FISPP