Friday, November 1, 2019

EXPANDING YOUR PERSPECTIVE




Thinking expansively, rather than personally, offers a different lens that leads to a different question - one that fits the cultural creative mindset, but also promotes compassionate action rather than self-involvement: What can I learn so I can live with greater integrity, empathy, wisdom, and kindness?
When we ask ourselves continually what we can learn from whatever comes our way and from whatever effects our own actions cause; when we refuse to personalize events and instead cultivate a deeper, more far-reaching perspective, we will not only break free of the cocoon of self-involvement, but also find ourselves more ready and able to stretch beyond our yoga mats into the wide world that needs us.
I practice Aikido and yoga because of globalization. I also practice change-making to benefit other people, other species, and the earth because of globalization. The primary tool I use to find a balance between inward and outward work is asking this question about all my choices: What will do the most good and least harm to myself, other people, animals, and the environment? Note that I include myself in this equation.
Widening our perspective isn't about self-sacrifice or self-neglect. It's about seeing one's place in the world for what it can be: personally gratifying and powerfully engaged in making a difference. – Zoe Weil

No comments: