Thursday, April 30, 2009

PROBIOTICS


Probiotics (Healthy Bacteria) are ‘live’ micro-organisms, which when administered in adequate amounts; confer a health benefit on the host. The resident bacteria (also called commensals) help guard the body against pathogenic bacteria. Lactobacillus is one of the widely studied probiotics which present the adhesion and growth of urinary and intestinal pathogens and produce high concentration of hydrogen peroxide and lover the pH of the intestine, making it inhospitable for the harmful bacteria. Probiotics improve absorption of nutrients, improve synthesis of vitamins and essential fatty acids and also prevent some bacterial and yeast infections. Curd, pickles and butter are good sources of probiotics.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not heard that butter is a good source of probiotics - as I understand it, fermented foods are the best source. But I'll definitely check into it. I take a probiotic supplement because a lot of our "good" bacteria is killed by chlorinated water, preservatives in food (designed to kill it all), and antibiotics. My favorite is Flora Source Multi-Probiotic because it contains high live cell potency (16 billion) and a high number of probiotic strains (16). But, I still love my yogurt :)
~ Anna M.

NARA'S NOTEPAD said...

Dear Anna
Thank you for your comments.
I appreciate you for adding some more information.
NARA